Blog Archive

Saturday 15 September 2012

20 Questions Version 1


Ability scores generation method? All characters are pre-gen at start, I use 16 points

How are death and dying handled? Normally staggered below 0 hp, dead at their constitution score (Standard PF)

What about raising the dead? Common among PCs, in fact, players can assume that as long as they are on good terms with their employer, it will happen in a day or three. If their bodies are not raised by the fifth day, the COMPANY probably won't raise them.

How are replacement PCs handled? They travel in a war-wagon, their next PC will walk out and join them. There is a list of 15 or so pooled characters, so they can choose among those.

Initiative: highest individual wins first action, then we go counter or counter-clockwise until combat ends based on even or odd dice. Generally all NPCs act in the same sequence. Started this at a con worked really well to keep track of & then implemented it for all my games.

Are there critical hits and fumbles? How do they work? Standard Pathfinder rules. I decide the results of a fumble based on a dex or str check.

Do I get any benefits for wearing a helmet? Yes, much less likely to be stunned

Can I hurt my friends if I fire into melee or do something similarly silly? Yes

Will we need to run from some encounters, or will we be able to kill everything? Yes, I use random monster tables in dungeons, without taking APL into consideration

Level-draining monsters: yes or no? yes

Are there going to be cases where a failed save results in PC death? yes

How strictly are encumbrance & resources tracked? specific resources like spell components yes, but nothing mundane, if it isn't rare or expensive and fits into your back, you have it if you want it. Don't want to limit players creativity, and this kind of book-keeping isn't why I play.

What's required when my PC gains a level? Training? Do I get new spells automatically? Can it happen in the middle of an adventure, or do I have to wait for down time? There are long period in between adventures, that's when this kind of things happen. Training is required for spell-casters or changing classes

What do I get experience for? attendance and completing goals; but being smart and funny helps

How are traps located? Description, dice rolling, or some combination? combo, if they are lazy they roll and then I describe; if they perfectly describe what they want to do they get a +20 + their perception rank for their search, thus most non-rogues can do this

Are retainers encouraged and how does morale work? encouraged, as they work with lesser soldiers

How do I identify magic items? Skills will give you a good chance at having an understanding, but, should be examined by a priest or mu of mid-level to determine specifics

Can I buy magic items? There are limited use items available, but enchanted weapons, armor, misc are extremely rare and expensive. Items also have a limited shelf-life, so they are relatively cheap and they don't add up as they eventually expire.

Can I create magic items? When and how? only limited or one time use ones, but weapons, armor, miscellaneous are not really available, there's an asterisk here for my players but that sums it up.

What about splitting the party? easiest way to get killed, but sure, I rarely disallow anything the PCs want to try

No comments:

Post a Comment